Saturday 6 March 2021

Goosing around at Kilcoole

Presumed hybird brent at Kilcoole Marsh, Wicklow March 2021

Presumed pale-bellied x dark-bellied brent intergrade with pale-bellied brent, Kilcoole
The upper part tone standing out like a sore thumb amongst the pale-bellied flock. The white flank patch also quite contrasting between the brown under parts and upper parts. 

Poor digiscoped image (Some of the other birds appear quite grey, this is due to the poor image quality)

I had seen what I presume was this bird flying south with a flock of six pale-bellied past Greystones while on some survey work. So I had then decided to make my way towards Kilcoole along the coast to try and refind what I suspected was an adult dark-bellied brent. To my susprise I saw this bird amongst the pale-bellied flock as I arrived at Kilcoole. Myself and Justin Ivory both saw this bird and were quite intreged by it. The white area on the flanks was to an extent that I had never seen on any dark-bellied I had seen in Ireland to date. And that is quite a few. I tend to see at least one or two dark-bellied each spring at Kilcoole as the numbers build before they begin their migration to breeding grounds. Apart from the large white flank area this bird was quite a classic dark-bellied. This particular individual had been first recorded by Jan Rod in Dublin back in January 2019. How do we know it was the same bird? Well it is ringed. A white ring on the right leg with the letter N and a black ring on the left leg with the number 4. I hope to find out some more information to as of where this bird was ringed and when. Hopefully I will see this bird and the possible Female grey-bellied candidate that is also present in this flock again next week. I suspect that the possible grey-bellied is the same bird photographed by Sean Geraty in Dublin back in January of this year. Sean also photographed the presumed intergrade pale x dark-bellied in Dublin around the same time. This shows the movement there is between Dublin and Wicklow of brent each year, especially in spring. There's hope for the black brant to show up at Kilcoole yet! 


Presumed hybrid pale x dark-bellied brent
This image shows the extend of which the brown flows under the vent area like on a typical dark-bellied. Perhaps not quite to the extend of many dark-bellied. This is the first intergrade type between the two subspecies I have seen. The only other confirmed hybrid I have seen was a suspected black brant x pale-bellied brent at the Wexford wildfowl reserve. Can dark-bellied brent ever show this white flank patch? is also a question that must be asked and researched some more. This bird along with the possible grey-bellied both appear to be injured. The hybrid type on its wing and the possible grey-bellied is hoping around due to an injured leg or foot.

Presumed hybrid pale x dark-bellied brent

Possible grey-bellied brant, Dublin - Sean Geraty (top image) Bottom image Kilcoole, 05/03/2021
Unfortunatly all the images I managed of this bird were very poor but it was very striking in the field. Let's hope it is still present mid week. A lot more work to do on this very interesting subject both in Ireland and abroad. Let's keep learning and discovering. 


More to follow mid week hopefully, stay tuned if you haven't fallen asleep by now!

#Brent #Geese #Spring #Iirshbirding #VikingOptical #BirdGuides #LifeofanIrishbirder 














No comments:

Post a Comment

Patch birding madness, Cahore marsh, October 2023.

October can be a good month for patch birding given autumn migration is in full swing. Though this year I didn’t expect my patch to go on ...